Green roofing in Lee's Summit
If you’ve ever driven around the Lee's Summit area and noticed commercial buildings with vegetation across its roof and wondered, “Why are all those plants up there?” then you might be intrigued to know that green roofs are a growing trend across North America because they bring many benefits to commercial properties that go way beyond the esthetic value they can add.
Unlike the common black tar roofs found all over the country, green roofs reduce energy costs by absorbing heat rather than attracting it. Placing plant life on your roof acts as a form of natural insulation, allowing your commercial building to be more efficient, eco-friendly and sustainable.
If you are interested in transforming your roof into a green one, contact RA Construction KC, LLC today. With all the many benefits Lee's Summit property and business owners can reap when they opt for green roofs, we have perfected the installation and maintenance of green roofs to meet the rising demand for this sustainable and cost-effective roofing option. Call us today to find out how we can make your roof green.
Green Roofing Systems
A green roof, also known as a roof garden or a living roof, has layers engineered to work together to create a suitable growing environment while maintaining the integrity of your roof structure and keeping your commercial building dry and insulated. Every type of green roofing system uses six primary layers:
- Plants: Keeps the roof cool, creates oxygen, supports local biodiversity, etc.
- Growing medium: Creates a suitable growing environment in rooftop settings. Typically a varied blend of organic and aggregate materials to make sure your choice of plants are receiving the essential nutrients they need to thrive.
- Filter cloth: Prevents the drains from becoming clogged with the organic material from the growing medium.
- Drainage layer: Makes sure that the drainage of excess water from the roof does not water-log the system and that the system isn’t overweight.
- Root barrier: Protects the roofing membrane from any root penetrations or organic material which could cause decay.
- Waterproof membrane: An optional layer but still useful to assure the integrity of your green roof.
There are three main types of green roofing systems for commercial building owners to choose from which include:
These types of green roofs are shallow and can only host a limited variety of plants. Though there is a limited variety of what can be planted, they are lightweight and far easier to maintain.
Deeper and heavier than extensive systems, intensive systems are reserved for structures with high weight allowances. If your commercial building’s roof has a high weight allowance, we can plant a variety of different species including certain types of trees for added esthetic value.
Best suited for the growing of grass and wildflowers.
To find out which type of green roof system best suits your commercial building’s roof, contact RA Construction KC, LLC today. Our team of experts will be happy to walk you through the design process while assuming the number of layers, depth of the system and other factors to find the best fit for your building and your budget.